Saturday, June 6, 2009

Max's Room

We *finally* have Max's room finished! We used Emily's old bed frame, but didn't have a headboard...so it just felt incomplete. On Friday I went to the Habitat for Humanity resale store and bought an old wooden door to use as a headboard. The paint on the door was peeling, but the wood was in really good condition...and for $30 it was a steal (I probably could have gotten it for less, but I was in a hurry). I had my step-dad remove the glass panel from the top of the door and then cut the door shorter for me. I then just spray painted it with a colonial red color and did the "wipe on-wipe off" thing with some burnt umber acrylic paint to age it. I flipped the door upside down for the headboard, so the part that shows is actually the bottom of the door. I am so happy with how it turned out! Oh and the r/w/b quilt on the bed is one I made (& my dad quilted it for me).


The wooden frames were just cheapos from the second hand store (both for $1). I did the same aging paint job on them as the headboard. All of the other furniture pieces are hand-me-downs: the drawer unit is the baby changing table we used for all 3 of the girls - w/o the changing part on top; the chair is one we've had for about 20 years; the table set is one that my step-dad made for Emily about 10 years ago (2 more chairs are in storage); and the lamps came from the piano downstairs. I think this is what I would call a recycled room! :-)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

It looks fantastic!! Little Max will love it, I'm sure. Lots of love went into that room.

btw, I'd love to contribute a fabric square to your 100 Good Wishes Quilt. Should I get your address and mail it, or just give it to Kim?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...